Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Tiny Sample of Japanese Art

18th Century painting
This week I visited the awe inspiring Tokyo National Museum. There wasn't nearly enough time to experience the place and I only saw two of the six buildings in the complex. 

The Thinker (enlarged)-Rodin
Earlier in the day, I visited the Museum of Western Art because I was feeling nostalgic, maybe a little homesick.  It had a broad collection of "old" European art and many, many Rodin sculptures. Much of the art (and all of the Rodin sculptures) were part of a private collection of a very wealthy Japanese man, Matsukata, in the early 1900's who wanted Japanese people to experience western art.  Most of his grand collection was lost in Europe in WWII or reclaimed by the French.  Recently the French gave back 100's of pieces (including some Monet paintings) as a goodwill gesture!

Buddha with attendents
Back to the Tokyo National Museum.  Old, old things really intrigue me so I started at the Horyuji Treasures building.  The first chamber held bronze Buddhist banners from 600AD. The next room held 40 small bronze statues of Buddha in different stages of his enlightenment, mainly from the 7th and 8th century.  It was staggering and very profound!  The room was dark so photos couldn't really capture the sculptures well.  I couldn't drag myself away from this room, each one was a little different and I would have loved to have read about them more, but there was little English.

Seated Bosatsu (young Buddha), 606AD


One of 40 Buddhas (15 inches tall)













My favorite - Carp with Cherry Blossom




From there I rushed through the main building where again the art was very, very old.  There were fabrics, banners, clothing, paintings, pottery and seals (stamps).  I was amused in the Modern Japanese Art exhibit where the paintings were from the mid to late 1800's! 


8th century glazed clay  jar




I guess I need to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment